The basics about scheduling and activities this week for the Unbound Cycling event.
A lot of people have asked about various elements of the Unbound Gravel event over the past couple of weeks. The cycling event is one of our larger activities in the region, and several ancillary events help support the primary race day.
Here are the basics you need to know:
- The larger Expo will be held on Thursday and Friday in the parking lots adjacent to Mechanic Street in the 600 and 700 Blocks, and on attached side streets. The expo is a Lifetime activity full of cycling vendors. If you have questions concerning the expo, please CLICK HERE for Unbound Gravel contact information.
- Thursday evening will host the downtown chalking and cleanup event. Meet at the Emporia Main Street office at 5:30 p.m. to chalk welcome signs on local sidewalks for Unbound Gravel riders. CLICK HERE for additional information.
- Packet pickup for riders will be held Thursday and Friday at the Lyon County History Center.
- The XL 350 mile launch will take place on Friday at 3:00 p.m. at 6th and Mechanic.
- On Saturday, ride launches will start a 6:00 a.m. at 6th and Commercial and LAUNCH SOUTH.
- The Finish Line Party hosted by Emporia Main Street will start at 11:00 a.m. in the 600-800 Blocks of Commercial Street, with beer sales starting at noon. The Finish Line Party will conclude at midnight.
- Awards will be held at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday at the Granada Theatre.
If you want a complete Unbound Gravel schedule CLICK HERE.
Providing information about event basics to your staff is important. There are people attending events for the first time that may not know where events are headquartered, where local bike shops are located, or what to interact with for local amenities. Remember to highlight UNIQUE local businesses and areas that can provide our visitors with a more memorable experience.
Some of your local businesses may want to appeal to riders with course maps. Emporia Main Street has the ability to produce large Unbound Gravel course maps in two different sizes for your business or home. Emporia Main Street also has a variety of different “Emporia” branded merchandise items if people are looking for something with the community name on items.
If you are a locally owned business, new visitors may not know who you are or what goods or services you provide. Your windows, signage, chalking, or other types of outreach are imperative to draw people into your business. We can “stock the pond” during the week, but your business will need to actively “fish for customers”.
Weather may be an issue this week, so storefronts should be prepared for visitors that linger. What strategies will you have to convert people that are avoiding weather to active buyers? What weather specific products do you sell? How will you activate your storefront to attract people at the Finish Line party? How will you pull people into your business on Expo or packet pickup days?
Your answers to basic market questions will often note the difference between increased traffic/sales, and missed opportunities. Need some ideas? Contact Emporia Main Street!